Christmas Essentials with Air Dry Clay: Santa Claus
This Holiday Season, as part of Clay House Art's Christmas Classics Series, our team will feature six classic Christmas elements to add to any Christmas themed artwork and show you step by step instructions on how to create your own winter wonderland using air dry clay.
Our second installment in the Christmas Festivities we will be featuring:
Here's what you're going to need
1. Take the white clay and mold an oval shape for Santa's face. Pinch a small amount of black clay for eyes.
2. Create Santa's beard by making a circle with white clay. Using the clay tools cut out a small rectangle at the top making sure that Santa's face can still be visible. Add Santa's eyebrows with the white clay
3. Attach the beard to the face using the clay tool to create indents that add texture to the beard.
4. Mix a little red and white clay to make Santa's nose and cheeks. Roll two lines with the white clay for a mustache.
5. Attach the two pieces to create Santa's mustache and add any final details
6. With red clay, roll a long cone shape. Make a line and small ball with the white clay.
7. Bend the cone and add the small ball to the tip. Wrap the white line around the cone and use the sharp part of the clay tool to add texture.
8. Attach the hat to the face and beard
9. Make a cone using the red clay. Make sure that the base is wide to create Santa's belly. Round out the body by placing the cone on its side and flatten it. Make two white lines for Santa's suit.
10. Place one of the white lines one in the middle of Santa's body. Wrap the second white line around the base of Santa's body
11. Using the clay tools or any sharp edge like a toothpick add texture to the whites of the suit.
12. Continue with the texture around the body
13. Make four ovals for Santa's arms and legs with the red clay. Using the white clay make four lines for the cuffs of Santa's suit.
14. Attach Santa's arms and legs onto his body and add texture to the cuffs. Use the green clay to make two small balls for Santa's mittens. Use the black clay to add Santa's belt and shoes.
15. Congrats you're FINISHED
Optional: Bag of Gifts
16. Use blue clay to make a large teardrop shape with a longer "tail" so that Santa can grip the bag.
16. Place the bag in Santa's hands and sling it over his shoulder.